Texas Barley Salad Recipe
“I got this recipe from a cook in Mexico while I was there on a Mission trip,” says Marilyn Sonnenberg of Edmonton, Alberta. “I've been making it ever since.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:5 servings
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the tomato, corn, red pepper, cucumber, onions and barley.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients. Pour over barley mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 5 servings.
3/4 cup equals 155 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC