“I got this recipe from a cook in Mexico while I was there on a Mission trip,” says Marilyn Sonnenberg of Edmonton, Alberta. “I've been making it ever since.”
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato, corn, red pepper, cucumber, onions and barley.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients. Pour over barley mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Texas Barley Salad in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p25
Reviews for Texas Barley Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review