- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, celery and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chicken, soups, tomatoes and chili powder.
- Line the bottom of a 3-qt. baking dish with half of the tortilla strips; top with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Texan Ranch Chicken Casserole
Sort By :
"It tasted great but mine came out very runny. I thought I made a mistake by not draining the tomatoes but it says not to. I would have to make a side dish of rice to soak it up."
"Fantastic! Admittedly, I changed the recipe somewhat based on other reviews. Four cups of shredded chicken to make it heartier, two large red peppers but no celery, cream of mushroom instead of cream of celery and added 1/3 cup of chopped pickled jalapenos. My husband isn't a big fan of casseroles but really liked this one. I didn't use the fat-free, low-sodium versions but will try next time, there is plenty of flavor to try that."
"I made this a few weeks ago and WOW!I don't know why some reviews say dull and no flavor because with in 5 minutes of hitting the table it was gone. Lots of flavor. Their taste buds must be dead. Loved this and I am making this again tonight. Making 2 this time as they seemed not to get enough last time. LOLThank you so much!!!!"
"It was really good and easy to make. I don't like celery so I used cream of chicken soup instead of cream of celery and also left out the celery. It still tasted great with plenty of flavor."
"VERY good!! There are many variations of this recipe. I combined this with another "Southwestern Casserole" from Southern Living Magazine. I added about 2 tablespoons of chopped jalapeno from a can; 2 cloves of garlic; cream of mushroom for the celery soup; 8 corn tortillas - all variations from this recipe. I also used 3+ cups of chicken which was coarsely chopped. I also threw in some sauteed mushrooms that I had leftover."