- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, celery and peppers in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chicken, soups, tomatoes and chili powder.
- Line the bottom of a 3-qt. baking dish with half of the tortilla strips; top with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Texan Ranch Chicken Casserole
"I may have done something wrong, but we did not like this at all. Very runny"
"This was a big hit with my family. My husband loves Mexican food so I added a tablespoon of taco seasoning instead of the chili powder. Served with a dollop of sour cream and pickled jalapenos and a salad on the side. Awesome recipe! Thanks Kendra!"
"This is great and easy. Make sure you have a big pan for the saute portion of the cooking process (such as a 4qt essential pan from William Sonoma). I think adding sweet corn cut fresh off the cob might add some sweetness and texture to the dish. Also, sprinkling the top layer of cheese with panko bread crumbs helps soak up excess moisture and adds a much needed crunch. Broiling for 2-5 min (depending on your oven) can make a nice caramelized cheese finish. I had seconds. Thanks for posting :)"
"It tasted great but mine came out very runny. I thought I made a mistake by not draining the tomatoes but it says not to. I would have to make a side dish of rice to soak it up."
"Fantastic! Admittedly, I changed the recipe somewhat based on other reviews. Four cups of shredded chicken to make it heartier, two large red peppers but no celery, cream of mushroom instead of cream of celery and added 1/3 cup of chopped pickled jalapenos. My husband isn't a big fan of casseroles but really liked this one. I didn't use the fat-free, low-sodium versions but will try next time, there is plenty of flavor to try that."