Tex-Mex Turkey Tacos Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 24 taco shells
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the peppers, onion, carrots and garlic in oil for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add the turkey, beans, salsa, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened. Fill each taco shell with 1/3 cup turkey mixture. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (2 tacos) equals 297 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 634 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.