Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole Recipe
Mild-flavored yellow squash gets a big boost from flavor-packed chilies, jalapenos and red onion. This side dish also works with zucchini. —Tommy Lombardo, Euclid, Ohio
- 7 medium yellow summer squash, sliced (about 10 cups)
- 2-1/4 cups (9 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine squash, 3/4 cup cheese, onion, chilies and jalapenos. Sprinkle with flour and salt; toss to combine.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender.
- 3. Spoon salsa over top; sprinkle with remaining 1-1/2 cups cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes. Top with green and red onions before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 143 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 420 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Summer Squash Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC