Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in the ketchup, chilies, broth, chili sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spread cut sides of buns with butter. Place on baking sheets, buttered side up. Broil 4-in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve beef mixture in buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes(8)
Sort By :
This will be our "go to" sloppy joe recipe. Hubby an I love the spiciness of this. Hubby said this will be his carry-in contribution for his companies annual Christmas party. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
These are by far the best sloppy joes I have ever had and my new favorite recipe. For my personal tastes I use dry minced onion and leave out the green chilies but for a crowd I do it as written.
Made this for a 'handful of men' at a men's meeting & was sorry to learn they didn't like it. The other reviews were so favorable.
Loved this new way to make sloppy joes. I made a few changes. I used 3/4 cup ketchup instead of a full cup and extra lean ground beef. I imagine turkey would be good too. Delicious.
Made these tonight for my husband and served them on home-made hamburger buns. It was so simple and tasty and a big hit. We think this is a big improvement on regular Sloppy Joes.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Sloppy Joe Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Kids Dinner Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinners >