Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in the ketchup, chilies, broth, chili sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, spread cut sides of buns with butter. Place on baking sheets, buttered side up. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve beef mixture in buns. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich: 354 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1187mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes
"These were very good, however I didn't really pick up a big "tex-mex" flavor."
"Delicious! I added a little brown sugar to it, but didn't change anything else. I'll make this again, definitely."
"I thought this recipe was very good. I added cilantro, used pork instead of beef, and cut down on the ketchup, but that was all just based on what we had--worked out great."
"This is the best sloppy joe recipe I have ever had! We love spicy in our family and this has just the right amount! Even my 8 year old son loved them and he usually doesn't eat sloppy joes!"
"This will be our "go to" sloppy joe recipe. Hubby an I love the spiciness of this. Hubby said this will be his carry-in contribution for his companies annual Christmas party. Thanks for sharing the recipe."
"These are by far the best sloppy joes I have ever had and my new favorite recipe. For my personal tastes I use dry minced onion and leave out the green chilies but for a crowd I do it as written."
"Made this for a 'handful of men' at a men's meeting & was sorry to learn they didn't like it. The other reviews were so favorable."
"Loved this new way to make sloppy joes. I made a few changes. I used 3/4 cup ketchup instead of a full cup and extra lean ground beef. I imagine turkey would be good too. Delicious."
"Made these tonight for my husband and served them on home-made hamburger buns. It was so simple and tasty and a big hit. We think this is a big improvement on regular Sloppy Joes."
"Boy are these good! Easy to put together and smells delicious while cooking. Due to picky eaters in the family not liking ?chunks? of stuff, I substituted garlic and onion powders for the garlic and onions. I also left out the green chilies. My husband said these are better than regular sloppy joes. I will be making these again."