Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Snack Recipe
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1. Cut each tortilla into six wedges; arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray tortillas with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp; remove to a wire rack to cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
- 3. Spoon over rice onto a serving platter. Top with turkey mixture, cheese and green onions. Arrange tortilla wedges around edge of platter. Yield: 10 servings.
1/2 cup dip with 6 tortilla wedges equals 202 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 331 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Snack
"This was kind of bland. Not spicy at all - no kick to it. Maybe use salsa instead of the diced tomatoes."