Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Snack Recipe
"This zesty Southwestern-style dip, served with tortilla wedges, is perfect for tailgating and after-game parties...or for any fun occasion," says Pat Habiger of Spearville, Kansas. "If you're adventurous, you might want to add green chiles or hot peppers."
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Cut each tortilla into six wedges; arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray tortillas with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp; remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon over rice onto a serving platter. Top with turkey mixture, cheese and green onions. Arrange tortilla wedges around edge of platter. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Snack in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p63
Reviews for Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Snack
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 24, 2010
This was kind of bland. Not spicy at all - no kick to it. Maybe use salsa instead of the diced tomatoes.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Turkey Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >