- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Cut each tortilla into six wedges; arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray tortillas with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp; remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon over rice onto a serving platter. Top with turkey mixture, cheese and green onions. Arrange tortilla wedges around edge of platter. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Snack in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p63
Reviews for Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Snack
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 24, 2010
"This was kind of bland. Not spicy at all - no kick to it. Maybe use salsa instead of the diced tomatoes."