"My grandmother gave me the recipe for this nicely spiced rice," recalls Kat Thompson of Prineville, Oregon. At 24 cents per serving, it's an economical side dish. "Or add some ground beef for a satisfying skillet meal," she suggests.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- In a large skillet, saute rice and onion in oil until rice is browned and onion is tender. Stir in the water, green pepper, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Rice in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p59
Reviews for Tex-Mex Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review