"I sometimes treat my friends at work to these peppy pitas at lunchtime," relates Helen Overman from Pottsboro, Texas. "I prepare everything in advance, so the spicy sandwiches can just be zapped in the microwave."
7 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Pinch ground cumin
- 7 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, water, beans, tomatoes and cumin.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup into each pita half; top with about 2 tablespoons
- cheese and a few jalapeno slices. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 7
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 623 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 120 mg cholesterol, 1,526 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 42 g protein.