Tex-Mex Pitas Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Pinch ground cumin
- 7 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, water, beans, tomatoes and cumin. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Spoon about 1/3 cup into each pita half; top with about 2 tablespoons cheese and a few jalapeno slices. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 7 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 623 calories, 27 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 120 mg cholesterol, 1,526 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Pitas
"Quick, easy recipe. Usually have everything on hand. My only addition would be to top with lettuce when done baking!"
"Even my picky sons ate it. Much more filling than a regular taco. Quick and easy too!"