- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Pinch ground cumin
- 7 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, water, beans, tomatoes and cumin. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup into each pita half; top with about 2 tablespoons cheese and a few jalapeno slices. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Pitas in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p45
Reviews for Tex-Mex Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2010
"Quick, easy recipe. Usually have everything on hand. My only addition would be to top with lettuce when done baking!"
Reviewed Apr. 1, 2010
"Even my picky sons ate it. Much more filling than a regular taco. Quick and easy too!"