Tex-Mex Green Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Lettuce leaves
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 1. Place the beans and salt in a saucepan; add a small amount of water. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, onions, pepper and cumin. Add beans and toss to coat. Serve on a bed of lettuce. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
One 1/2-cup serving (prepared without cheese) equals 65 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.