Tex-Mex Corn Bread Recipe
This special corn bread has spice added to it with its jalapeno peppers. The Mexicorn adds lots of wonderful color.—Gene Pitts, Wilsonville, Alabama
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; set aside. In another bowl, combine egg, corn, onion, peppers, buttermilk and 1-3/4 cups cheese. Stir corn mixture into flour mixture. Pour into a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes or until bread tests done. Top with remaining cheese and remove from the oven. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 283 calories, 9g fat (7g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 853mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Corn Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC