Tex-Mex Corn Bread
This special corn bread has spice added to it with its jalapeno peppers. The Mexicorn adds lots of wonderful color.Gene Pitts, Wilsonville, Alabama
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; set aside. In
- another bowl, combine egg, corn, onion, peppers, buttermilk and
- 1-3/4 cups cheese. Stir corn mixture into flour mixture. Pour into a
- greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Bake at 350° for about 40-50
- minutes or until bread tests done. Top with remaining cheese and
- remove from the oven. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 283 calories, 9 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 853 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.