- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; set aside. In another bowl, combine egg, corn, onion, peppers, buttermilk and 1-3/4 cups cheese. Stir corn mixture into flour mixture. Pour into a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes or until bread tests done. Top with remaining cheese and remove from the oven. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Corn Bread in Reminisce September/October 1991, p39
Reviews for Tex-Mex Corn Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review