Hearty and spicy, this is a man's chili for sure. You can also simmer on the stove—the longer, the better! —Eric Hayes, Antioch, California
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, salsa verde and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish each serving with cheese and cilantro.
Freeze option: Before adding toppings, cool chili. Freeze chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and cilantro. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
Originally published as Tex-Mex Chili in Taste of Home December/January 2010, p26
Reviews for Tex-Mex Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review