- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, salsa verde and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish each serving with cheese and cilantro.
Freeze option: Before adding toppings, cool chili. Freeze chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and cilantro. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
Reviews for Tex-Mex Chili
"Made this for a food day at the school where I teach, evidently everyone loved it! I eat last lunch, so I didn't even get any! :( Will definitely have to make again so I get some!"
"I loved it. My husband said it is like a meal on its own.really really good."
"I love the real meat in this recipe! Much heartier than ground beef."
"This recipe was delicious. I used fresh garlic and onion. I also added the onion with the garlic to the skillet before putting everything in the crockpot. I added extra cayenne pepper for extra kick. I used beef braised ribs which was great!"
"Very easy and taste great"
"The best.. Making it for my son wrestling chili cook off.."
"What a great recipe I make this all the time quick and easy and the kids love it. And my favorite part is you can make it as spicy as you want and it still taste great."
"LOved it and very simple to make"
"Very easy slow-cooker chili recipe"
"My family loved this chili recipe. I didn't have to change a thing. I wanted to try and make chili and was looking for a good base to start with. Will as I said, perfect without improv."