Tex-Mex Chili Recipe
Hearty and spicy, this is a man's chili for sure. You can also simmer on the stove—the longer, the better! —Eric Hayes, Antioch, California
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese and minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, salsa verde and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Garnish each serving with cheese and cilantro. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
1-1/3 cups (calculated without cheese) equals 334 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 1,030 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 32 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC