Tex-Mex Chili with a Cincinnati Twist Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Optional toppings: oyster crackers, hot pepper sauce, chopped sweet onion and shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne and salt.
- 2. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chili beans, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato and jalapeno.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through. Serve over spaghetti. Garnish with toppings of your choice. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup (calculated without spaghetti and optional toppings) equals 288 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 767 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 22 g protein.