Tex-Mex Chicken Starter Recipe
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each garlic powder, ground cumin, dried coriander and dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 medium onions, halved and sliced into rings
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine lemon juice, oil and seasonings. Add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, bring chicken and marinade to a boil in batches. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 6 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken with tongs to a large bowl.
- In the drippings, saute onions and garlic until onions are crisp-tender. Pour over chicken and mix well. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Divide mixture among three freezer containers; cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before using. Yield: 6 cups.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Chicken Starter
Sort By :
My family loves this over Fiesta rice - afraid it never makes it into freezer containers!
This is a delicious and easy preparation for chicken. If I don't have time to squeeze fresh lemons, I use 1 cup frozen lemonade concentrate instead of the 1/2 cup lemon juice.
Wonderful! I keep this in my freezer all the time, and am constantly finding new ways to use the chicken--tortilla soup, chicken enchiladas, even as the basis for delicious buffalo chicken wraps. I leave out the coriander, increase the chili powder, and sometimes roasted red peppers. A real winner and a family favorite.
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Freezer Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Quick Chicken Dinner Recipes >