Tex-Mex Cheese Strata
Tortilla chips add a little fun to this south-of-the-border brunch sent by Vickie Lowrey. "For spicier tastes, substitute pepper Jack for the Monterey Jack cheese," says the Fallon, Nevada reader.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 4 cups coarsely crushed nacho tortilla chips
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Arrange tortilla chips in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish;
- sprinkle with cheese and set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion
- in butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, onion, chilies, ketchup and
- hot pepper sauce; pour over cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes until a knife inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.