Tex-Mex Beef Sandwiches
Everyone loves these when I serve them. The cocoa is a surprise ingredient that adds a depth of flavor. It's hard to identify, so I'm often asked "what's that interesting taste?" —Brenda Theisen, Addison, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 envelope burrito seasoning
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 8 hoagie buns, split
- Cut roast in half. Combine burrito seasoning and cocoa; rub over
- meat. Place peppers and onion in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker; top with
- meat. Combine broth and ketchup; pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Skim fat. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks and
- return to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, spoon
- 1/2 cup onto each bun. Yield: 8 servings.