Tex-Mex Bean Salad Recipe
My father-in-law's recipe, this salad is both pretty and packed with protein. It's also convenient since it uses a variety of canned beans. It's more flavorful when prepared the night before.—Christi Gillentine, Tulsa, Oklahoma
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 10 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 265 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 679 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC