Terrific Tomato Tart Recipe
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large yellow tomato, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 to 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon bread crumbs. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Repeat layers, being careful to brush oil all the way to edges.
- 2. Fold each side 3/4 in. toward center to form a rim. Spread with pesto and sprinkle with half of the feta cheese. Alternately arrange the red and yellow tomato slices over cheese. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining feta.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crispy. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove parchment paper before cutting. Garnish with basil. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 135 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer