- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped almonds, toasted, divided
- Butter a large baking sheet with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a small bowl, combine semisweet and milk chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reaches 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup almonds. Immediately pour onto prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips; spread with a knife when melted. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Break into 2-in. pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Reviews for Terrific Toffee
"Love this recipe. I don't use nuts per family requests. Does none know how long it can be stored. I usually make at least 10 different deserts on Christmas eve but would like to f ET some done ahead of time this year. Thans, Patty"
"This is wonderful toffee. The first time I made it I used unsalted butter. Bad choice. It needs the salt to have the correct texture. Made again with salted butter and had no problems. I pressed the almonds into the chocolate so they would stick better."
"toffee is excellent! only problem I had is the chocolate topping breaking off when I broke it into pieces. any suggestions as to what I did wrong?"
"I have made this recipe four times and it is delicious. The only problem I had was the toffee would crumble sometimes. Not sure why. Too much butter maybe but that's my fault. Overall a great recipe."
"I made this recipe this past weekend to be included on our annual Christmas trays. It is EXCELLENT! The best toffee I have ever tasted. I have never made toffee before and had never used a candy thermometer before. I had no problems or issues. I will be making the toffee again this weekend to give as gifts to co-workers. Thanks so much for sharing!"
"If you or someone you love are a toffee lover like me this is a must have in your recipe box."
"I make this a few times a year and everyone always loves it. Aside from a few candy making issues (the mixture separating) I think I have finally got it perfect. I alos have a lot of fun playing around with toppings."
"Great recipe. Everyone loved it!!"
"Wow! This is the best toffee we have ever made. My husband loved it and so did our neighbors. I will make this again and again."