Terrific Toffee Recipe
"This candy is one of those must-make treats my family requests at Christmas," says Carol Gillespie of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. "The buttery toffee, rich chocolate and crunchy nuts are a triple treat. Everyone who tries a piece asks for more."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing YIELD:30 servings
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped almonds, toasted, divided
- 1. Butter a large baking sheet with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a small bowl, combine semisweet and milk chocolate chips; set aside.
- 2. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reaches 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup almonds. Immediately pour onto prepared baking sheet.
- 3. Sprinkle with chocolate chips; spread with a knife when melted. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- 4. Break into 2-in. pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
1 ounce equals 187 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 69 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC