Terrific Toffee Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped almonds, toasted, divided
- Butter a large baking sheet with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a small bowl, combine semisweet and milk chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reaches 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup almonds. Immediately pour onto prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips; spread with a knife when melted. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Break into 2-in. pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Reviews for Terrific Toffee
Sort By :
"This is wonderful toffee. The first time I made it I used unsalted butter. Bad choice. It needs the salt to have the correct texture. Made again with salted butter and had no problems. I pressed the almonds into the chocolate so they would stick better."
"toffee is excellent! only problem I had is the chocolate topping breaking off when I broke it into pieces. any suggestions as to what I did wrong?"
"I have made this recipe four times and it is delicious. The only problem I had was the toffee would crumble sometimes. Not sure why. Too much butter maybe but that's my fault. Overall a great recipe."
"I made this recipe this past weekend to be included on our annual Christmas trays. It is EXCELLENT! The best toffee I have ever tasted. I have never made toffee before and had never used a candy thermometer before. I had no problems or issues. I will be making the toffee again this weekend to give as gifts to co-workers. Thanks so much for sharing!"
"If you or someone you love are a toffee lover like me this is a must have in your recipe box."