"This candy is one of those must-make treats my family requests at Christmas," says Carol Gillespie of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. "The buttery toffee, rich chocolate and crunchy nuts are a triple treat. Everyone who tries a piece asks for more."
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped almonds, toasted, divided
- Butter a large baking sheet with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a small bowl, combine semisweet and milk chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reaches 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup almonds. Immediately pour onto prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips; spread with a knife when melted. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Break into 2-in. pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Originally published as Terrific Toffee in Country Woman November/December 2001, p41
Reviews for Terrific Toffee
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review