Terrific Teriyaki Burgers Recipe
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 6 slices unsweetened pineapple
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices tomato
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, pineapple, ginger, garlic and sesame oil; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the egg white, bread crumbs, onions, crushed pineapple and 3 tablespoons reserved ketchup mixture. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into six burgers.
- 3. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear, brushing occasionally with remaining ketchup mixture.
- 4. Grill or broil pineapple slices for 2-3 minutes on each side or until heated through. Serve burgers and pineapple on buns with lettuce and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger equals 386 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 677 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.