- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Place chicken in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and, if desired, rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Teriyaki Chicken Thighs
"One of my go-to recipes. Easy to prepare and so good on rice. I can never quite get the cornstarch exactly right to thicken the sauce, so I end up adding more than the recipe calls for to get it thick enough. Really just wind up eyeballing it."
"Made this tonight and my husband and I really liked it. Our two year old daughter even ate the chicken, and she tends to be picky about meat. On the suggestion of some I used brown sugar and liked the way it tasted. I'm not wild about Asian dishes but I would recommend this to anyone."
"Very good! Family enjoyed it but suggest just a tad of heat added and only cook for 3 hours. thanks!"
"This is an excellent recipe! I read about a few people ending up with dry chicken, so I cooked 2 1/2 pounds of chicken breast on low for 2 hours. The chicken came out perfect! Also, when I was making the sauce at the end I added 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and increased the corn starch to make the sauce thicker. So good!"
"sorry but I gotta agree with Kristal/Crystalsounded good/liked most reviews/love teriyaki sauce...BUT......this was awful, I'm sorry but very dry over cooked chicken, sweet yes and altho I do love salt, even too much for me.really appreciate you submitting the recipe, honestly, because I made it liking the looks of it, but just didn't work"
"Excellent! I used brown sugar instead of white, upped the garlic to two cloves and the ginger to one teaspoon, and added 1/4 cup chopped shallots. I servd it over brown rice and my family loved it! A definite keeper!"
"My dh loved this. I did too, but I think 5 hours was too long or where I bought the thighs. I used brown sugar, and after tasting the sauce I thought it missed some brightness. I had an orange that I'm using in a marinade later in the week, so I grated the rind into it. Glad I did. It really made a subtle difference"
"Very tasty, and easy. Love it with steamed rice and broccoli"
"Oh my goodness!! This is the best "teriyaki" style recipe I have ever made! It's easy and versatile! Sometimes I add sliced water chestnuts during the last 1/2 hour of cooking and garnish with thinly sliced green onion! Just delicious! Made this again (about 3 weeks after this 1st review) and used country style spareribs instead of chicken thighs. It was amazing!! Love this recipe!"
"Amazing! The last 10 minutes of cooking time, I transferred thighs to a 450 degree oven. Delectable!!"