After trying a similar sandwich in Hawaii, I was inspired to create my own. My sister-in-law contributed the marinade and together we came up with this hearty version.
Recommended: Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 hard rolls or croissants
- 1 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 8 tomato slices
- 4 green pepper rings
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, optional
- In a blender, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup. Pour remaining sauce into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken; seal and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Broil chicken 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes per side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- On bottom half of each roll or croissant, layer lettuce, tomatoes, chicken and green pepper. Drizzle with reserved sauce; spread with mayonnaise if desired. Replace tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Teriyaki Chicken Sandwiches in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p22
Reviews forTeriyaki Chicken Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 9, 2015
"Simple, easy and delicious! I put them on crushed whole wheat sandwich rolls."