Teriyaki Beef Burgers Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sherry or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the beef and water chestnuts. Shape into six patties. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sherry or broth, onions, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. Pour 1/2 cup over patties; cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Serve on lettuce-lined buns. Yield: 6 servings.
1 burger equals 335 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 924 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.