- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen snow peas
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup teriyaki or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- In a saucepan, combine the water, barley and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place carrots and a small amount of water in a pan; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add peas; cook 1 minute longer or until crisp-tender. Drain. Combine barley, carrots, peas, chicken, water chestnuts and onions. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine remaining ingredients; shake well. Pour over warm barley mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Teriyaki Barley Salad in Country Woman July/August 1999, p40
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Teriyaki Barley Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review