Tenderloin Steaks with Cherry Sauce Recipe
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 3/4 cup port wine
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1. Place wine and cherries in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in the butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- 2. Sprinkle steaks with remaining salt and pepper. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 3. Serve steaks with cherry sauce and sprinkle with green onion. Yield: 4 servings.
1 steak with 1 tablespoon sauce equals 291 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 461 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.