Tender Whole Wheat Rolls Recipe
Even though these are whole wheat rolls they have a light texture and are soft and tender. This recipe reminds me of lots of happy meals with my family.—Wilma Orlano, Carroll, Iowa
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup wheat bran
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups bread flour
- 1. In a small bowl, pour boiling water over the wheat bran, flaxseed, salt and cinnamon. Add the honey and oil. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, whole wheat flour and wheat bran mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough bread flour to form a firm dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down.
- 4. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 roll equals 120 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Tender Whole Wheat Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC