Tender Tangy Meatballs Recipe
This recipe originally came from my mother-in-law, then I made a few adjustments. These tender meatballs make a great entree.—Ralph Wheat, Bedford, Texas
- 3 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 bottles (10 ounces each) chili sauce
- 1 jar (8 ounces) grape jelly
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1. In a large bowl, combine bread and milk. Squeeze excess milk out of bread; discard milk. To the bread, add onion, mustard seed, seasoned salt, garlic, egg, salt and pepper; crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine chili sauce, jelly and beef broth; slowly bring to a boil. Add meatballs; simmer for 30-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (6 each) equals 442 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 1,017 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC