Tender Swiss Steak Recipe
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. I sometimes serve it with white or wild rice. You can also substitute venison for the beef if you like.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (1 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- 1. Cut meat into serving-size pieces. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on both sides. Top with onions and celery. Combine the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and oregano; spoon over vegetables. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC