Tender Swiss Steak
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. I sometimes serve it with white or wild rice. You can also substitute venison for the beef if you like.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds beef top round steak (1 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Cut meat into serving-size pieces. In a large resealable plastic bag,
- combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a
- time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on both sides. Top with onions
- and celery. Combine the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and oregano;
- spoon over vegetables. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or
- until meat is tender. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 6
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.