Tender Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 7 tablespoons cold butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine sweet potatoes and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 3. Pat or roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2-in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 4. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 biscuit equals 136 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Tender Sweet Potato Biscuits
"This recipe is definitely a family favorite! They're a nice change of pace from the regular baking powder biscuits."
"These are easy to make and so delicious! I only got 13 biscuits out of it, not 18, but that's ok. These will become a new staple in our home because everyone loves them!"