Tender Sugar Cookies Recipe
Want to simplify your sugar cookies? Roll this buttery dough from our Test Kitchen into balls and dip them into colored sugar before baking.
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Colored sugar and/or coarse sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 2. Roll into 1-in. balls; dip tops in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned and tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 61 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 47 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC