Tender Stuffed Cornish Hens Recipe
I first served these hens at Thanksgiving one year when only a few of us gathered to celebrate the holiday. They're so yummy they often grace our table throughout the year. The wild rice stuffing offers a flavor my family always enjoys. –Jenny Holliday, Roanoke, Alabama
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 package (6.2 ounces) fast-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 4 Cornish game hens (20 to 24 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Stir in the soup, mushrooms and prepared rice.
- 2. Sprinkle inside and outside of hens with salt and pepper. Stuff with rice mixture. Place on a rack in a greased shallow roasting pan; cover with foil.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Melt remaining butter; brush over hens. Bake 25-35 minutes longer or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° for hens and 165° for stuffing. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 769 calories, 46 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 257 mg cholesterol, 1,618 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 45 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC