Tender Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
As spectacular as it is to the eye with ham, cheese and spinach peeking out of every slice there's very little fuss to making this main dish. The meat turns out extremely tender, too.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (3 pounds)
- Celery salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham
- Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the tenderloin to within 3/4
- in. of bottom; open tenderloin so it lies flat. Flatten to 1/2-in.
- thickness. Sprinkle with celery salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Layer with cheese, spinach and ham; press down gently. Roll up,
- starting with a long side; secure with string. Sprinkle with
- additional celery salt, garlic powder and pepper. Place in a shallow
- baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° until meat reaches desired
- oneness, about 35-40 minutes for medium (160°) and 45 minutes
- for well-done (170°). Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Yield: 10-12 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.