- 1/2 pound beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Trim beef; cut into two portions and flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and salt; add beef and shake to coat. In a small ovenproof skillet, brown beef in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute the celery, carrot and onion for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Return beef to the pan; spoon some of the vegetable mixture over the top.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Tender Round Steak
Sort By :
I have made this recipe since I was 12 years old. It was a hit than and a hit 40 years later.