- 1/2 pound beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Trim beef; cut into two portions and flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and salt; add beef and shake to coat. In a small ovenproof skillet, brown beef in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute the celery, carrot and onion for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Return beef to the pan; spoon some of the vegetable mixture over the top.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Tender Round Steak
"Followed the recipe exactly and this was very tough. Won't make again"
"I have made this recipe since I was 12 years old. It was a hit than and a hit 40 years later."