- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Place potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Set cooking liquid aside to cool to 110°-115°. Mash potato (don't add milk or butter); set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm cooking liquid. Add the honey, oil, salt, egg, 4 cups flour and mashed potato. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 7-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 36 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Tender Potato Rolls in Country Woman March/April 2002, p40
Reviews for Tender Potato Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review