Tender Lemon Rolls Recipe
Light and tender, these golden rolls are filled with a lemon curd sauce and lightly glazed. A sprinkle of walnuts, and you have a sweet roll that’s difficult to resist. —Shirley Duncan, Willis, Virginia
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup lemon curd
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, lemon peel and salt. In a small saucepan, heat sour cream, butter and water to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Roll into an 18x12-in. rectangle. Spread lemon curd to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut into 12 slices.
- 4. Place rolls, cut side down, in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°. Brush rolls with beaten egg and sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 roll (calculated without nuts) equals 291 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC