- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Food coloring and coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine milk, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Tint with food coloring if desired. Dip tops of cookies in icing; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Tender Italian Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"Followed the recipe, very good! Not sure I'll make again though. The kids didn't love em.."
"can someone help I made the tender italian sugar cookies and they tasted like flour. Why??"
"Question - Do you have to use unbleached flour? What is the difference or benefit?"
"Super easy and everyone loves! Very moist and delicate flavor- can be addictive! I will try butter flavor shortening next time. This will be my go to cookie for special occasions!"
"this isn't a review, just a question. Can you substitute anise for the vanilla in both the cookie and the icing?"