Tender Italian Sugar Cookies Recipe
These traditional Italian cookies are moist and tender. —Weda Mosellie, Phillipsburg, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Food coloring and coarse sugar, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For icing, in a small bowl, combine milk, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Tint with food coloring if desired. Dip tops of cookies in icing; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each equals 136 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC