- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Food coloring and coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine milk, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Tint with food coloring if desired. Dip tops of cookies in icing; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Tender Italian Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"Just ok. I agree with others that these are pretty bland. Not a very sweet cookie if that's what you're looking for.Easy to make, but not my idea of a sugar cookie."
"For more flavor use almond flavor in cookie and i used peppermint flavor in icing"
"Easy to prepare with ingredients that are always on hand. Very nice presentation Unfortunately they don't have much flavor. I used extra vanilla in the dough and icing and double dipped them and they were still just eh. I was pretty disappointed."
"I just made these with white frosting & sparkling white sugar. They look so pretty, like snowballs. They do taste a little bland, though. I will definitely try them again with some anise extract added."
"Followed the recipe, very good! Not sure I'll make again though. The kids didn't love em.."