- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Food coloring and coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine milk, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Tint with food coloring if desired. Dip tops of cookies in icing; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Tender Italian Sugar Cookies
"Just made these cookies and also found them a little bland, will make them again just will add some orange extract to flavor them up. Icing was very runny even after adding extra sugar."
"Love these cookies and they are always a hit a christmas time"
"Just ok. I agree with others that these are pretty bland. Not a very sweet cookie if that's what you're looking for.Easy to make, but not my idea of a sugar cookie."
"For more flavor use almond flavor in cookie and i used peppermint flavor in icing"
"Easy to prepare with ingredients that are always on hand. Very nice presentation Unfortunately they don't have much flavor. I used extra vanilla in the dough and icing and double dipped them and they were still just eh. I was pretty disappointed."