Tender Herb-Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 1 tablespoon dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pat turkey dry; brush with oil. Sprinkle herb mixture over skin of turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- 2. Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place the bag in a roasting pan; add celery and onion. Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- 3. Bake 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 14 servings.
8 ounce-weight: 554 calories, 26g fat (7g saturated fat), 245mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0g fiber), 72g protein .
Reviews for Tender Herb-Roasted Turkey
"Made this for Thanksgiving. We thought it was very good; and I appreciated that it was very simple. Made a great gravy. Good for the 'less confident' turkey-maker. :)"
"In response to mchelle_99 --Flour is added to an oven bag to prevent it bursting."
"Why do you place flour in an oven bag? i'm assuming that the turkey needs to go in the bag as well"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer