Tender Herb Dinner Rolls Recipe
A blend of herbs makes these mouthwatering rolls stand out from all others. They're especially tasty with poultry and fish dishes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and seasonings. In a saucepan, heat milk and shortening to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Beat in egg until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 103 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC