Tender Herb Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and seasonings. In a saucepan, heat milk and shortening to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Beat in egg until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 103 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Tender Herb Dinner Rolls
"WILL NEVER MAKE AGAIN!!!!"
"I'd like to share a tip when making these rolls. After shaping dough into balls, rather than putting on baking sheet(s), place in greased 13x9x2" pan to rise. Mine take about 35-40 minutes to rise, then I just pop in oven and bake. We enjoy them right out of the oven, spread with butter."
"These rolls are outstanding!!"