VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and seasonings. In a saucepan, heat milk and shortening to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Beat in egg until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Tender Herb Dinner Rolls in Best of Country Breads 2000, p65
Reviews forTender Herb Dinner Rolls
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 24, 2011
"WILL NEVER MAKE AGAIN!!!!"
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2009 Edited Jan. 21, 2014
Reviewed Sep. 14, 2008 Edited Jan. 21, 2014
"These rolls are outstanding!!"